Tuesday, November 18, 2014

La Gata #57 11/18/14 La Miseria

I took quick notes during the commercial break. I'm sure I missed a lot and as usual, I'm a little scant on the details. I'm still battling this crappy crud.

In other news, this felt like a relatively coherent episode. Please note: all action was interspersed with lots of Pablo and Esme sappiness.

The episode begins with a wedding dress try-on montage and a few shots of Pablo working on his acid inspired mural.

Esme's joy is interrupted by a sudden memory of Rita's fortune telling. She'll never be happy at Pablo's side.

Mariano visits Ines at the basurero and tells her about El Sil's beca program for disadvantaged youth. He's got four to give away and Carrlos is the first recipient. Mariano want Ines to help him find 3 more lucky indigent youth.

Esme goes to visit Rita for a card reading. Rita's cards foretell a lonely future for Esme...WITHOUT the babies (say what?)


Ines tells Garabato she has a plan to get even with the Gata. She waxes philosophic about being a resident of the basurero. Society hates them. They are the lowest of low and forgotten. I think it's Ms. Latoodle-oo's attempt at a PSA, but for me it falls flat since she's, you know, profiting off these folks and I doubt she's really helped them that much.

Gisela tells Pablo she's in love with Pablo. She figures she just needs to get that out in the open. It shouldn't change their business dealings at all. Juarever. There's some gig at the gallery and she invites Esme...just to show there are no hard feelings about their less than friendly meeting at the reclusorio.

Esme prays that nothing ruins her happines.

Esme is still uneasy after the commercial break. She tells Jarocha about it and her friend tells her not to worry.

Meanwhile, Gisela swears to Lorenza that Maldita Gata (*drink*) will never smile again. Damian and another lawyer type interrupt to throw them out of the house. Lorenza wonders where they will go and Augie remembers an apartment he bought in his youth. "But it's in a horrible neighborhood!" Lorenza laments. Lorenza yells at Damian and the other guy. She thinks Damian can't understand what she's going through, being from the dump and all. He's probably never even seen a house as nice. He reminds her that at the dump they never had to rob from each other. Lorenza swears the house will become a cemetery.

El Sil gathers the "family" (yikes, as I write this I realize it is starting to feel a little cultish at Casa de El Sil) to give them some news. He began all this with a few goals in mind, one of which was to find his daughter...he's sure he'll find her soon. But for now, he's recovered his old homestead. He presents the keys to Fela and Damian announces the desalojo (eviction) of the MNs. Esme is impactada and Pablo walks in just in time to hear the news. He wants to know where his parents are.

Lorenza, Augie and Dorila have moved into their new digs during the commercial break. Lorenza bitches about the apartment. Gisela advises her to be patient. Lorenza proclaims she is a lady to the manor born! (ok, it's the only thing I could really come up with for "todo una dama!") Surely the wrath of God has fallen upon them!

Esme is seriously just too good. She's telling Pablo that once the two of them are married, they can help his parent out. Bless it.

El Sil monologues in the empty living room of his recovered home. Omar and Vero approach and appeal to his soft side. They have no where to go. El Sil hires them and I am happy for Virginia's future.

Lorenza wanders around the apartment and listens to the barrio noises.

Pablo and Esme discuss parenting techniques. Gah! Who cares?

El Sil tells Meche she's shown herself to be trustworthy. He tells her when the court case is cleared he'll deal with the other stuff, namely telling Esme she's his daughter. El Sil makes a big production of showing Meche an envelope. It contains instructions that she's to follow in case something happens to him. These documents will provide for the future for his child and grandchildren. He locks them in a safe. He hopes Pablo isn't angry at him for the situation with his parent. He's left the majority of his fortune to Esme and Pablo (did I hear that right?)

Esme and Pablo say good night and she reminds him he has an appointment with the priest the next day.

He doesn't forget and he and Padre Rivas(?) set a date for next Wednesday at 8 AM.

Later Pablo and Esme daydream about the wedding and before when they open their eyes it's next week. He mentions the Gallery Gig invite.

Lorenza tells Augie she went to see Eugenia and he guesses correctly that she made excuses as to why she couldn't help them. Augie says stuff (sorry, I was fading at this point...the most important thing I caught was Dorila is staying on out of loyalty, but it's her day off. Girl, what do you think you are going to get out of this?) Mariano comes to call and tells Augie he and Pablo will help pull them out of their Misery. Lorenza cries some crocodile tears.

OH NOES!!! PABLO SEES ESME IN HER WEDDING DRESS!!! Oh for pete's sake, Nathalie! Can't you produce a cliff hanger?!

Avances were vague and useless.

Previous: Episode 56
Next: Episode 58

Labels:


Comments:
Hipster baby looked a little more alert tonight.
 

Gracias por el recap, Sara! I'm sorry about your crud, though. I don't think it adversely affected the recap, but watching the episode might have had an adverse effect on the crud! So much wedding dress shopping and I just...couldn't care. Typically I like wedding dresses. The foofier the better.

You're right about Hipster Baby! They even showed his face and everything!

As the episode was ending, I said "Oh, come on, he saw what she was wearing before their first wedding and that...oh, wait...maybe that's not a good example."

I spent most of the episode playing the worlds tiniest, most expensive violin available from the Dollar Store as Augie and Lorenza whined. Mr. 5ft made rude hand gestures. I mean really, those two! "You can't possibly understand how terrible this is for me! You were raised poor!" Not garnering any sympathy from me, Lo.

"The most important thing I caught was Dorila is staying on out of loyalty, but it's her day off. Girl, what do you think you are going to get out of this?" Wooooooooooord! If Lorenza is "to the Manor born" then Dorila is "to the Toadying Life born." She didn't choose the Toady life, the Toady life chose her.
 

Sara thank you for soldiering on with recap despite not feeling well. And the recap was pretty funny anyway! Loved your ref to "hipster baby", whom I still call "cap baby" but sometimes he also looks like "unaware baby".

Diva, too funny your comments. And hard to picture the correct and dignified Mr 5 ft making rude hand gestures.

For the life of me, can't figure out why Augie hates his sons so much that he throws them out of his hovel, even when they are the only ones trying to help him. Not smart Augie.

I agree that the bad luck attracted by the groom prematurely seeing the bride in her wedding dress was an omen of bad luck to come. Why did he keep trying to turn around and look! What a sap!

Mural update: remember at the beginning all the cats had round yellow eyes? Now they have frowny slitty eyes. Whoever referred to Pablo's acid-inspired mural hit it right on the head.

J in Oregon

 

Sara, You do a fine job of covering and no crud came through.

"Please note: all action was interspersed with lots of Pablo and Esme sappiness." Well, a spit ball ain't a ball at all and mostly spit.

"I think it's Ms. Latoodle-oo's attempt at a PSA, but for me it falls flat since she's, you know, profiting off these folks and I doubt she's really helped them that much." She is condescending toward them, and the wrap up to the "feed the children" montage she put together, you have Garabato & Ines the poster children product of that environment, grubby pawed, wild thugs, that can't help it. You know, the caricature Lorenza has painted.

Ms. Latoodle-oo - forgive them they know not what they do

Mariano - give one slot to Ines

Priest - 8 am sharp and after we can have breakfast at I HOP next door

Gisela - ok, it's not love but have you seen his butt

Lorenza - some guy keeps shouting dyn-o-mite in the next apartment

Dorila - if you need me I'll be in the hall

Fernando - and under no circumstances do you open this before Christmas

Esmeralda - does this dress come in black

 

Sara, sorry to hear you are still fighting the "crud." Hope you are beginning to feel better. Thank you for this recap and your saucy observations about things.

Where did the superstition come from about it being bad luck to see the bride's dress before the wedding?

I really like those babies. I think they use the cap se we can recognize which one is which.

Even for a warped self-indulgent person like Ines, her fixation on Esme seems overdone, and, since Esme is here until the end, will likely lead to Ines' downfall.

I hope the junk apartment in the slums is just a step toward the MNs ultimate arrival in the dump.

5ft - Mr. was making rude hand gestures? That had me laughing.

tofie: "does this dress come in black" had me laughing.

Hope your immune system kicks in soon, Sara, and thanks for giving us this great recap.

David
 

Thanks everyone! I'm slowly getting better.

David-I think EVERYONE on this show seems fixated on blaming La Gata!

tofie-Loved the "does this come in black?" line!

J- I can't figure out why Augie is so awful to his sons either!!

Kat- "The Toady life chose her" LOL!
 

Oh, y'all only think Mr. 5ft is dignified...remember, he's married to me. And the ruder I am, the funnier he thinks it is. He's a bad influence.

I find myself feeling sorry for the actor playing Augie. They've put a lot of demands on him to really "sell" this stuff, and haven't given him very much to back it up with. I think he's playing it as if he's given up and doesn't want anyone around trying to encourage him...but then they throw in lines about how he's going to get Fernando in the end, which doesn't fit. And then Lorenza and Gisela with their "Maldita Gata" duet and no coherent reasons. It's annoying and it makes them both look stupid, which isn't a quality that makes me take a "villain" seriously.

tofie, I like the post-wedding IHOP pancake breakfast idea!

I found something in this article about the "not seeing the bride before the wedding" thing. The explanation makes sense. Mr. 5ft saw the pattern for my dress, but not the dress itself or me in it until I walked down the aisle. I will admit that it had less to do with superstition than with my *cough* flair for the dramatic. Hey, I was young and silly...I was trying to create a moment, y'know :D
 

5ft, thanks for the info about not seeing the bride before the wedding! Boy, just thinking about not knowing what your bride looks like until you have said "I do" and THEN the veil comes up, and. . .

I wonder how many grooms thought, "Well, maybe she has a good personality."

David
 

Lol, David...they probably consoled themselves thinking of all the gold, land, and cows they were about to get their hands on!
 

Thank you Sara! You did this under the influence of a fading crud? You bad, girl!

Oh gosh, y'all are killin' me but tofie, damn girl, like I always say, this $hit is fun.nay:

"Lorenza - some guy keeps shouting dyn-o-mite in the next apartment"

I feel like I'm gonna bust a gasket!! Oh gosh!!!!! Oh! Oh my gosh!

Somebody said some teenagers wrote this, how about some 8 year old that had seen a couple of mommie's novelas and thought, "I can write a story like tha-aht!" Unfortunately for us, her daddy made it happen and put it on prime time!

The surprise in this all. Garabato is kinda hot! Gain a little weight, baby, and let's cast you as a galan! Whoo!
 

Lila, I wondered if the Good Times reference too dated, cause it dates me
 

I love Good Times!
 

I particularly like this picture of Ricardo Baranda (Garabato)

http://www.radioformula.com.mx/notas.asp?Idn=420295&idFC=2014

Definitely a hottie in the making (IMHO.)
 

Damn, I'll cook for him and get some meat on his bones
 

tofie, Girl, that dyn-o-mite comment was perfection!! Damn! Wish I had thought of it!! I'm going to keep repeating that line throughout the day and cracking up!

Sara, thanks for that picture. I actually gasped when I saw Garabato's finely chiseled face amidst that mop of tumbled curls. Boy is fine!


 

Great work Sara despite the crud.
Like David said, give that immune system a double shot of something.
Vitamins?

I was amused when Lowrenza heard her neighbors yelling last night.
It was something new for her to experience in life.

Tofie your Lorenza comment about some guy shouting dyn--o--mite in
the next apartment was funny but I think you got it backwards. The show was Movin On Up but Lowrenza and Augie are moving on down.

Augie throws his sons out? Well how much room is in that rundown junk apartment? I don't think that there is room for their sons in there.

I did have to laugh last night when the doorbell rang and Lowrenza had to open the door herself. That was a hoot. Well loyal Dorila will be there soon so that Lowrenza won't have to get up out of her easy chair, LOL
to open the door.

Right David---I'm with you. From a
mansion to a rundown junk apartment to the dump. It sounds pretty good to me.

Rita's cards say no babies? OH NO!

I did notice that Ms. Lowrenza still had a large pearl necklace on, even if it was a 50% off Target sale piece.
the gringo
 

I meant to say that the show Good Times was about movin on up. I just didn't say it right.
 

Sara...can we give him a makeover, too? The glasses and the sweater aren't working for me, but I can see the potential!
 

Does this work?

http://www2.esmas.com/cea/nuestros-egresados/136677/ricardo-baranda/
 

Hm...that's better....
 

*snort* I just realized he's totally doing the trademark "Gata" look in that second picture!
 

I did notice last night when we saw Garabato without his knit cap...kinda cute. Then I looked at some images online--whooooeee, girls!

J in Oregon
 

Kat- I thought the same thing! Who did it first? Maite or Ricardo?

 

Post a Comment



<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older

© Caray, Caray! 2006-2022. Duplication of this material for use on any other site is strictly prohibited.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Finder